blue sky mine

In the course of researching an article tonight for work, I ended up reading a little about the town of Wittenoom. It's site of "the world's greatest industrial disaster" and the inspiration behind the Midnight Oils song, "Blue Sky Mine".

Firstly, it made me really nostalgic. I remember watching the song's fabulous film clip (below), along with other 90s chart-toppers like "Remember the Time" by Michael Jackson, and "Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister, when I was little – gosh I loved Saturday mornings when I was 8, dancing away to Video Hits without a care in the world!

But it also made me sad. It made me think about corporate greed, and the lengths people will go to for money. The company directors behind the mining of Wittenoom reportedly knew of the dangers and filthy conditions they were sending their workers into, but onward they marched, with an eye on the bottom line. How do people reconcile that? Pursuit of profits, when a person's life is at stake? It boggles the mind. It's too much for me to dwell on at 9.30pm on a school night, so instead, I'll leave you with this classic film clip. My apologies if it gets stuck in your head...


"who's gonna save me!"

0 comments: